Monday, April 16, 2012

New leaf

So as you may have noticed I have not been blogging of late. This is because every time I got on, I didn't feel the urge to write. I finally realized today that the reason why is because I got bored with what I was writing. And if I was bored writing it, I am sure y'all were bored reading it. To fix this problem I have decided to add more of my thoughts to the blog and less of a play-by-play of my weeks. I think the first semester pretty much sums up what this PharmD life is like, nuts. There is no need to rehash the same tators over and over. So As I turn a new leaf I warn you now, you may hear things you do not like, or even better, things you do! I hope to make you think more about the actions you take in your life and how they effect everyone around you. I will not use this blog as a rant site, well maybe a tiny bit, but nothing belligerent or offensive. I hope to make you use the "squash" between those ears, and maybe make your small corner of the world a better place to live.

Getting started:

I will let you know that we have a CRAZY amount of tests coming up, nine in the next three weeks, so my blogs may not be consistent. The good news! We are almost done with our first professional year! Every week seems to have taken a month of my life, but flies by, if that makes since. I guess the emotional and physical toll far exceed the actual time spent in the week. I will not be surprised if I rock some gray hairs by the end of P2 year.

On to the new:

Today I was thinking about the past and figured it would be a good place to start for the revamped PharmD life. The thing about the past that infuriates us all is that it cannot be changed. This simple fact may sound elementary, but if you think about mistakes you have made, you will remember how much time you spent dwelling on what could have been if you would have been able to change that mistake. This leads to anger, depression, and even may cause you to miss a new and exciting opportunity that presents itself while you are being booty hurt. My advice to you, live by this simple maxim and you may be able to move on more quickly and enjoy life further. "There is no going back, the past cannot change, what's done is done, move on and do not make the same mistake again." Sounds easy enough, but in practice is not so easy. What I usually do is allow myself about a minute or two of intense rage, allowing all the angry, blame full and pointless thoughts run rampant in my head, or out loud if no one is around. I then take a couple deep breaths, and repeat the maxim to myself until I have calmed myself enough to move on. I do not forget the mistake I made, but accept it as done and make sure to take steps to avoid making the same one again.

By approaching the problem logically, you can devoid yourself of the emotions that may hinder you, and find the source of the problem and then better yourself. I do not advocate living a totally logic driven life, emotions are beneficial also, and are what defines us as a species. However, if we allow ourselves to be ruled by our emotions, we will continue the departure down a long and fruitless road.

Another thing about the past is the tendency to relive it and blame others fr their past shortcomings, and then letting that blame define you or them. Nobody is perfect, no government is perfect, no religion is perfect, no organization, school, team, club, or any other gathering of Homo sapiens. Why? Because of the common theme of these being comprised of humans. Humans are fallible and will always be so, this does not have to be bad thing, this is how we learn. It is the application, or lack thereof, that leads to "bad" things. We need to accept our and others mistakes, forgive them, forgive ourselves, and then move on. When we carry on, we use the knowledge we gained from the experience to live a better and more fulfilling life. The majority of our society has a problem with playing the blame game. "So and so did this, so I deserve this, or that is why I act like this, or that is why I need this." NO! Because someone made a mistake in your past, does not mean you deserve anything over another person. Having these kind of views is what leads to intolerance and violence. Accept what has happened, make sure you do not make the same mistake, and make your life and this planet a better place for it.

I am sick and tired of hearing people bitch and moan about something that happened in the past. No matter how much you complain, it will not CHANGE! Carry on. If we could all just do our parts, and not expect a handout, then we could fix a lot of problems with this world, and maybe even live longer, better lives because of it. The change starts with the individual, no person can make the entire world change by themselves, but if we all do our part to change ourselves, and not dwell on the past, than it WILL change the entire world. All we have to do is start.

No comments:

Post a Comment